Atayef are especially made during Saint Barbra’s Day. They are filled with Ashta, sprinkled with crushed pistachios and served with a rose-water simple yrup.
- 1½ cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 tsp. Baking Powder
- 2 tb. White Granulated Sugar
- 1½ cups Water Room Temp.
- 2 cups of Whole milk Ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup Nestle Table Cream
- ¼ cup Crushed Pistachios
- Rose Water Simple Syrup For serving
Rose Water Syrup
- 2 cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tb. Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp. Orange blossom water
- 2 tsp. Rose water
Prep: 30 Minutes
Cook: 10 Minutes
- Begin by placing all the ingredients in a bowl and whisking together.
- Add the water and mix well.
- Set aside to rest for 15 minutes.
- Heat up a non-stick pan medium-low heat.
- Drop 1tbs of batter and spread lightly using the bottom of your spoon.
- The Atayef will begin to bubble, and once there is no more raw batter areas, remove it using a spatula and place it on a light kitchen towel.
- It should cook for 1-2 minutes.
- To prepare the filling, add the ricotta and table cream to a small bowl and mmix together.
- Add a tbs of rose water syrup to the filling to give it a wonderful rose water aroma (optional)
- Once the Atayef have fully cooled, place about 1 tbp of filling on the pancake and pinch the sides together to close it 3/4 of the way.
- Dip the open area into the crushed pistachios.
- Serve with simple syrup or as is.
For the Rose water simple syrup
- Combine the sugar, lemon juice and water in a small saucepan.
- Heat on medium-high heat, whisk until all the sugar has dissolved in water.
- Simmer for 10 minutes
- Add rose water and orange blossom water, then turn off the heat.
- Once the syrup has cooled, pour into a jar and set aside.
Orange blossom jam! You might recognize it as the sweet petals put on top of Lebanese desserts in sweet shops! Of course, unlike industrially produced brands, these ones do not contain any artificial preservatives or coloring!
Ingredients: Bitter Orange blossom, sugar
Producer: A L’Ancienne MEET ME
Storage: Store in the refrigerator.
Whole flour sold by weight.
Usage: Used in making:
- Traditional pasta
- Pizza crust
Ingredients: Durum Wheat
Ingredients: Distilled orange blossom flowers
• White Coffee: Pour a splash into a cup of boiling water & add some honey for a cozy hot drink
• Desserts: Use in Arabic desserts or cakes for a nice added flavor
Producer: Jana Al Ayadi Cooperative MEET ME!
Raw pistachios pieces without shell. Sold by weight. Pistachios are great source of Vitamin B-6, potassium, magnesium, iron, Vitamins A and C and calcium, and healthy fats.
Usage: They are very present in Middle Eastern cuisine:
- As a filling in Arabic sweets like maamoul, baklawa, halawa
- In chocolate sweets, biscuits…
- Roasted and sprinkled on top of rice and minced meat
- In your cereal or oat breakfast mix
- In smoothies
- in Armenian desserts like Khoshaf